Pages

Friday 22 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 4 Week 1

Summer Learning Journey
Day 4


Activity 1 - Use Google to research traditional Māori Waiata. Listen to a number of Waiata and read the lyrics. On your blog tell us which one of the waiata you found you like the most. Why do you like it?

My favourite maori waiata is E Ihoa. It is the national anthem for the Maori. I like this song because it is sung in English as well as Maori!


Activity 2 - Choose one game, and on your blog, tell us the (i) name of the game, (ii) the goal or purpose of the game, and (iii) two rules.

I chose Poi Rakau.
The game was for warriors to train. It was a warrior training game.
1 rule is that the putahi (the person in the middle) has to throw with one of either of their arms. The second rule is that, the person the putahi throws it to, has to catch it with the opposite arm! E.g. I am the putahi. I throw with my left hand and another person catches it with their left!


Bonus Activity - Watch these three clips from previous Te Matatini festivals.

Te Iti Kahurangi

Te Puku o Te Ika

On your blog, rank the performances from your favourite (#1) to least favourite (#3) and tell us why you gave them the ranking that you did.

#1 - Tamatea Arikinui.
#2 - Te Puku o Te Ika.
#3 - Te Iti Kahurangi

I chose Tamatea as first because I felt that the lyrics were sung beautifully. And the kapahaka group singing it co-operated a lot!
I chose Te Puku o te Ika second because it was a beautifully sung song. I liked this song because it sounded awfully wonderful!
And I chose Te Iti Kahurangi last, probably because it was a bit TOO loud for me. Even though I liked the effort put into the performance!

Note - I was supposed to post this yesterday, but I accidentally saved it as a draft, so sorry for the inconvenience.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jazire
What outstanding work you have done!!! I liked how you have given some very strong reasons on your ratings.. What was the best activities and why??

Unknown said...

Hi Vedel! My favourite activity was probably the song rating one!

Unknown said...

Hey Jazire
I can really see the all of the hard work that you have put into this activity. I also am doing the summer learning journey on my blog. What was your favrioute part about this activity? Why?
Hope you have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

sarah Glen Innes School said...

Hey Jazire

What wonderful work, Keep it up!

Ruby SLJ said...

Hi Jazire,

Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team! It's great to see that you've been working through these activities. Well done!

Activity 1: I googled your waiata so that I could listen to it, but there were lots of different songs with that name. Could you find a link or a video to include on your blog so that we can listen to the right one?

Activity 2: Poi Rakau is a very fun game! I've played it a few times and always enjoy myself. I'm a little bit confused by the rules you have put on your post though. That's not how I remember playing it! Can you check you have the right rules?

Bonus activity: Good work ranking those songs. I put Te Puku o Te Ika in first place but it was hard to choose between it and Tamatea Arikinui. You've done a good job of telling us why you have put them in that order. Do you know what the lyrics for Tamatea Arikinui are about?

I look forward to reading more of your blog over summer.
Cheers,
Ruby.

Post a Comment