Pages

Sunday 31 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 4 Week 3

Summer Learning Journey
Day 4


Activity 1 - One of the most famous children’s stories to ever come out of New Zealand, Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy, was written by a kiwi woman named Lynley Dodd. The book was originally published in 1983. It is now sold in dozens of countries around the world. It features a small dog named Hairy.

On your blog, use the following sentence starter from the original book to finish the story.

“Out of the gate and off for a walk went Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy…”

To earn full points, your story should have, at least, 8-10 sentences.

Out of the gate and off for a walk went Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy....
He had a bone in his mouth he was wanting to eat
But he thought he'd find a place first, a place that couldn't be beat
He was looking for some peace, someplace with shade and sun
And then finally to his joy, he had found the right one
A spot under the shade provided by an oak tree
What a delight for Hairy Maclary
He was happy, on his own
With his juicy looking bone
He starts to lick
Very quick
Until out from under a bush came...
A teeny tiny rabbit!


Activity 2 - In the 1980s it became increasingly common for students to graduate from high school and take a year off to travel and experience the world. This year was often referred to as the ‘Big OE’ or ‘Big Overseas Experience.’ A number of kiwis headed to places like Australia and England to live and work before returning to New Zealand to finish their studies.

london.jpgsydney.jpg
Imagine that you are a student in the 1980s and you’re about to graduate from high school. Where would you like to go on your big OE? On your blog tell us which country you would visit and give us three (3) reasons for your choice. Find some pictures on the internet of things that you would like to see and do in this country.

I’d love to go to Switzerland and spend lots of time in the mountains, learning how to ski!

I would love to visit Australia to explore Sydney, the place I always wanted to go! I'd also go to see all my family members, including aunties, uncles, cousins and grandparents!
It would also be fun to go to the Gold Coast, where everything looks so nice and wonderful!
Image result for gold coast aussie


Bonus Activity - In 1982, Te Karere, a Māori-language news show premiered on television. It has continued to stream live on TV to this day. If you would like to watch it, turn on TV One at 3:55 p.m. each weekday and you will see it. The show is often hosted by a man named Scotty Morrison.

Imagine that you were Scotty Morrison and you were able to interview anyone you wanted. I would choose to interview our new prime minister, Jacinda Ardern. I’d love to know what it is like to be the Prime Minister.  What about you? Who would you choose to interview and why? What would you like to find out?

If I could interview anyone, it would most probably be my famous uncle Lawrence. His face starred in the lord of the rings. If you search up "Lord of the rings cast, Lawrence Makoare", you'll be sure to see my uncle. He was the witch-king of Angmar, Gothmog.

These are three things I'd ask him.
* How does it feel to work in movies such as The DeadLands with James Rolleston, and The Lord Of The Rings, with plenty other movie stars? * What advice would you give to any children or others out there, including me, if they wanted to be an actor?
*Do you ever get tired of all the make-up?


I liked writing about my uncle today. I feel pretty cool that I have family that are either famous, popular, well-known or seen on tv!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jazire
Amazing work!!! What was your favourite activity???

Nicky Bloy said...

Hey Jazire!

I bet you had fun writing about your uncle - that's pretty cool!

I really enjoyed reading your story about Hairy Maclary! I love that you made it rhyme. I also like that you left us wondering what happens with Hairy Maclary and the rabbit...

Australia is a great place to visit! I've only been to the Gold Coast so far, but I'm going to Sydney this year which I'm excited about. Do lots of your family live in Sydney?

That's so awesome that your uncle is a famous actor! I googled him and saw he's been in quite a few famous movies. Those are great questions, too. Do you want to be an actor, like him, when you grow up?

Nicky :)

Post a Comment